Monday, March 4, 2013

Tuna sashimi korean style@Gaon, Desa Sri Hartamas

This is truly worth penning down.

A korean friend introduced this place and apparently it is not common to find korean restaurants serving tuna sashimis in KL and Gaon is one of the few ones which does.

In fact, in Korea, you rarely find both BBQ and sashimi dishes served in the same restaurant. Malaysia is boleh-land after all. Pao ka laio.

Side dishes served prior the main sashimi meal here were different from the typical ones we usually get in small bowls in most korean restaurants. Smoked raw salmon slices drizzled in korean mayo, 3 layer pork slices with old aged kimchi (much more sour than the normal ones), and some sticky whitish shoots where by you wrap them with seaweed before eating. My korean friend forgotten what its called in english.

The highlight of course was the tuna sashimi, from different parts of the fish's body.

From a glance, it looked like beef slices from its colour. I've been told that the darkest red slices were the most expensive parts, somewhere near its head n gill area. One piece was enough for me, a little too bloody for my liking.

My favourite part the tuna belly slices. The proper way to eat it was to dip in sesame seasoned oil and wrap the sashimi with seaweed before eating. Wasabi is not a key addition here. This distinguishes the sashimi style of eating between the koreans and japs.

We ordered 1 small portion of bbq grilled beef which was really good: tender and juicy!

The owner must really like my friend as she came along and gave more free food. Wha-----t?
Free stewed pork ribs, deep fried vegetables and fish stomach. There were just too much for 3 tummies to consume.

After the meaty dishes came in, it dawned on me why restaurants in Korea do not serve both sashimi and meats together in one venue...because they were not meant to be feasted together! After a while, the combination of both made me a little uneasy on the tummy.

This dining experience opened a new found liking for me, which is...Mekju! The combination of icey cold beer and soju. I might develop an addiction for this. Oh no.....

Gaon. Keep up the good work! Ill be back!

Oh yah.. we played tennis and chilled by the pool before this glorious dinner. I just love how my feet looked in the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment